Thursday, April 24, 2008

Thing # 21 - Podcasts, Vidcasts, and Audiobooks

I am familiar with audiobooks as I have been accessing them through a publisher who has been providing them free of charge as an attempt to boost sales of the books. I don't know id the sales actually increased, but my teachers sure enjoyed sharing the books with their students. Capstone Press provided this free service, which expired at the end of March, I believe. It presented the full color pages of the book and even read the story out loud and turned the pages upon mouse direction.

As to vidcasts and podcasts, I have marginal experience with either. I tried to download audacity to my Mac, but never got it wirking correctly. While I haven't created anything independently using Photostory, I did collaborate and contribute pictures for a nice slideshow with music detailing the Medina River Cleanup, which I am a section head for annually. I cannot take credit for its creation, but I did help in planning and contributing. Medina River Cleanup. I will pursue this more this summer, as I would like to make more presentations like this to promote my canoeing and kayaking classes to the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts.

I think kids can learn valuable lessons if they are given assignments in which they have to collaborate with their peers to present vidcasts and podcasts. Learning comes alive and becomes personal. Many lessons are learned from this type of experience. Unfortunately, few are measurable by TAKS, so teachers have to fight to justify the teaching time to allow this sort of assignment. I will try to educate people as to its value. We are using a podcast in our final collaborative teaching assignment for this class.

No comments: