Thursday, April 24, 2008

Thing # 14 - Technorati and tags

Technorati's video was helpful. I enjoyed reading the history on the website even more. I liked the phrase" serendipitous discovery of intersting stuff" a valid descriptor for this site. It really does make locating and organizing massive amounts of information easier.

When i searched for School Library Learning 2.0, I found the most hits from the keyword search. While the fewest results were found using a tag search, they were also the most timely. I wonder if tag searches suffer because people do not yet understand the value of and how to rtag their creations effectively. I know I knew nothing about tagging before beginning the 23 Things. Taging is very valuable, but I believe it is a skill that must be taught. I didn't find it intuitive.

As to its usefulness in the library, I can use it personally, but I see it more useful as a tool to teach others how to use to organize their learning.

No comments: