Thursday, April 24, 2008

Thing # 11 - Library Thing

I enjoyed visiting the Library Thing website, but I don't think it is very practical for me right now. I have several thousand books in my personal library, many of them reference books, and old books that are out of print. It would take an enormous amount of time to catalog all of them, and then, I doubt anyone else would want to read them anyway. I added some horse books and attempted to add an older book. While I could find the book title, the copyright dates were wrong. This appears to work best with current books, rather than old books.

What I might do in the future is establish a small list in very specific categories and list just those subjects and associated books. Something that is topical and changing, of course, such as how to besrt treat ADHD.

The best use for this is in the library is to make the users aware of the Library Thing website, so they can add their books abnd find other groups of people who appreciate reading the same types of books. As for me, I'd rather spend most of my time reading my own books, rather than cataloging them.

No comments: